Sunday, February 6, 2011

T is for Togipa!

This past week, God allowed my family and I to come together and celebrate the life of my late uncle, Togipa Sagapolutele Moli Molio'o; my Dad's older brother. Uncle "Tony" was the first of my Dad's siblings to pass on and will be very missed. God made no mistakes when he took my Uncle and through every hardship comes a lesson. This weekend I learned to keep my faith in God strong, love my family no matter what, and be proud of where I come from(Samoa). God bless you Uncle Tony! See you later...

Auntie Taua, Amosa, and Beka: I've watched all three of you very carefully this past week and I can't help but admire you all! The way all of you handled your loss with grace and strength made me so happy to know that Uncle Tony was survived by you three! The thought of your loss makes me hurt. I just want to say with all the love and respect I have, I am truly sorry! I'm steady praying for the Lord to guide you during this struggling time! May you find peace at mind and strength very soon. I love you all and God bless!

To all of my first cousins: THANK YOU!; For the laughs, smiles, and memories! ((: It truly was an amazing weekend that I will never forget! We HAVE to do it again! I love each and every one of you with all my heart! God bless and again, thank you!

The word funeral alone comes off as very blue however, my family finds a way to bring joy to everything and that is exactly why I am so proud to be a member. It's been a long time since many of us seen one another and although there were some who were missing(out of my first cousins) the strength and beauty of our family definitely showed this weekend! One of the things that impressed me the most was the fact that our family hasn't gotten together in thirteen years and our bond has not yet faded or become lost. Partying in the hotel with my brothers and sisters Saturday evening(bringing in Sunday morning), made me realize how much family is everything! &my family is all I'll ever need! Shout out to Venomous and Dyna-Mack for the entertainment! A big thank you to my Mama for playing photographer; can't wait to see all of the pictures! & of course, a BIG thank you to our friends Remy, Malibu, X-Rated, Bud, Hef, Corona & Moscato for keeping us company! (; This night will forever be apart of me!

Sunday evening, family and friends gathered together to reminisce on the times spent with my Uncle Togipa. Although most of the service was held in Samoan and I couldn't understand, I could tell through the laughs that he was admired greatly and will truly be missed. I remember one of my Dad's sisters, Auntie Pela, mentioned her late husband, Uncle Peni and instantly I began to cry! I miss you Uncle Peni and I think about you constantly! Another testimony that touched me incredibly was my Auntie Timena's(my Dad's first cousin). She mentioned how my ancestors stressed the importance of raising a family, especially ours, in Christ; As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. -Joshua 24:15 is the scripture that my ancestors lived by. Our(my generation) lives were predestined to live within the Lord, our Auntie Timena explained, so we should live as such. As the night lingered on, family and friends enjoyed food prepared by our immediate family and a second night of fun carried on at the hotel! I was able to spend some quality time with my cousin(Big Sister/Ace), Miracle! Had an amazing talk with her and can't wait to reunite with her soon! (Vegas babyyy!)

Monday, was the day of the burial and I must say it was very bittersweet. I felt for my cousins Amosa and Beka and continued to cry for them. I also felt for my Dad and his brothers and sisters. I know it must have been very hard for them to bury their own brother that day and I would hate to witness that pain, ever! My brother, as well as ALL of my male first cousins that attended, carried my Uncle to his grave sight and it was the most beautiful thing I ever seen. The young men of our family coming together to honor our Uncle and put him to rest, I couldn't help but cry. Rest in Peace again Uncle Tony! You are so loved and missed! Following the burial my family had to partake in cultural duties and many mistakes were made on our(my generation's) part for we were not raised fully in our custom. The elders of my family gathered us young ones in a room, after all of the festivities in honor of Uncle, to explain to us that our culture is a very unique, strong, and beautiful one. We, as descent of unique, strong, beautiful people, must take pride in that and learn our culture fully. & for a deeper understanding and meaning, we must do so in the Lord. The gathering that night was truly beautiful and in all honesty, life changing. I thank and praise God for that moment because it gave me a deeper appreciation to all that I am made of...

In closing, there is beauty in everything, even death. My Uncle Tony's life was spared but his body was put to rest peacefully and beautifully. In celebration of our late uncle, Togipa, my cousins/siblings and I were able to reunite and recreate a bond long awaited and well deserved. And in the midst of all my smiles, tears, and pain came fulfillment. I am so proud to say that I am a young Samoan woman! I take that pride and walk in the Lord to better my family and bring pride to my family. Coming into my "adulthood", I struggled with a huge void and could not, for the life of me, figure out what it was. PRIDE, I am proud and forever will be to carry on the legacy of MOLI blood. Samoan. Woman. Christian. MOLI. blood! Become yourself, because I AM ME!

Family, is all I'll ever have or need in this lifetime & to all of you...Thank You!

Rest in Peace, Love, and Happiness Uncle Tony!
I love you!

No comments: