Monday, February 7, 2011

Color The World.

Today my Philosophy teacher asked my class to, if willing, participate in a lecture called Curse of Reading. Although the lecture was very interesting, and the lecturer, Annette Diambrisio (Please excuse the spelling, I'm going off of memory), was very lively, my concentration was focused elsewhere...

Diambrisio spoke of the late Frederick Douglass and how he learned how to read and write. For those who are unfamiliar with Douglass' story, he learned to read and write from his master. Diambrisio spoke of the limits a Colored had back then, when it came to education. She also spoke on why White's didn't want to teach African-Americans how to read and write; equality. The White's did not want Black's to be educated and more importantly, equal.

My mind couldn't help but wonder on that note. I began to think how ugly the world must have been, how boring, how bland. A student interrupted my thoughts and as soon as I turned to place a face to voice, a young White male appeared as he wrapped his arms around a young Black woman. He, dressed in a button up and corduroy pants and she in a colorful Kanga(African Sarong) and head wrap with very little makeup. I thought to myself, how beautiful!

As the couple left, holding hands and laughing, I continued to smile at the beauty of their relationship. There were so many differences between the two, seen with the naked eye. Of course, their skin color. Also, their style of dress which was so unlike and defined, yet their love overthrown all differences. It was simply beautiful!

In honor of Black History Month and great abolitionists, like Frederick Douglass, who died fighting I'd like to humbly and respectfully thank those who have created freedom for all. Freedom to learn, freedom to write, and freedom to love! I could not imagine living in a world painted Black and White, right and wrong, yes and no. I am so blessed to wake up to colorful days! (:

If only Mr. Douglass could see what I see!

No comments: