Sunday, January 16, 2011

Nigga vs. Nigger.

PLEASE READ: This piece was not written to upset, harm or ridicule anyone. This is my thoughts as to how the word nigga is used, treated, as well as mistreated. These are my thoughts! I am not a racist and have no intention of becoming one. I ask that all readers be open minded and consider my thoughts. Thank you!

I think the most ignorant statement I've heard in my nineteen years of life was, "Just because your girlfriend is Black doesn't mean you can say nigga"!

Yes people. Today, I'm taking it there!

Growing up, I attended predominately African-American schools and the use of the word "nigga" was a common subject. Anyone, except for the White kids, were allowed to use the word. Unless of course one resembled an African-American in any way possible. There was no rule that allowed such behavior, and to this day, that rule is still nonexistent. The students have created this type of environment and yes, I find this unfair...

People being limited to the use of the word nigga, why are you not using it? Are you scared? If so, I must ask once more, WHY? There is no law forbidding anyone to use the word. So why should we?

Because it's disrespectful to the ancestors of African-Americans? Well, that is true... in a way! Nigga, is the slang version of the actual word that disrespects our ancestors. Nigger is the word to be mad at, people! I can see how some still find this word offensive because it is a form of the offending word, but we must understand that people give words power.

If I were to open a dictionary and look up the word nigger, I would find this definition...

A person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior,
ignorant, etc.

& that is all. But, because a White man stood behind the word and used it against a Black man in a degrading manner, the word turned into an insult. Since then, a lot has changed for the colored community. Within those changes, the language slang was born.

Slang, which is a very informal use of the English language, has introduced the word nigga. By dropping the "er" and replacing it with an "a", the word has been taken away from it's harsh memories and is now used as a sign of endearment. Yes, some still use the word as a reference to African-American people but definitely, not in a derogatory manner!

My peers use the word to refer to friends, males, or a person in general, no matter the race! But of course, the case is who is using the word...

Is she Black? Is he White? Are they yellow, orange, red?
What difference does it make?

To the people who restrict others aside from African-Americans using the word, why? Because it sounds good? In all honesty, do you truly connect with the depth of the word?

I truly and firmly believe that no one born after the 70's can grasp the hurt behind the word nigger!

What irritates me the most about those who police the use of the slang word nigga? The fact that those policing the word only stop the ones who aren't African-American and it's as simple as that. If one truly and positively hates the word, then one would hate it in any situation. Yes, even if Black people use it! The word should be hated as a whole and not periodically.

Reconnect people! Recognize and reconnect!

But here is some food for thought, if you are telling people who aren't African-American to use the word for racial purposes, aren't you being racist?