Sunday, January 9, 2011

Topic of Discussion: Say Something!

This goes out to my ballas. macs aka the homies settin out to rap.
I'm directing this message towards men and women within the age range of eighteen to mid twenties, and ALWAYS all ethnicities! (:
What are y'all saying today?
Y'all are telling me that I'm ballin` out of control if I drop three bills (that's hundred dollar bills for the uncool), on a shirt and a pair of jeans at yet, I'm still living in the upstairs bedroom at my mama's house?
You mean to tell me that if I'm socially active but not sexually active with three different men at the same time I can get some props. I'm a mac. I'm a pimp. I can NOW brush my shoulders off?
Is that what y'all are saying today?
So let me get this straight...
If I can put together words that melodically move
and get a mass of people to groove.
God forbid it makes sense.
As long as I live up to this presence.
This image.
This facade.
I can be the next Drizzy?
The next Wiz?
The next Pac?
Well if that's what's been said, go ahead and stop.
That's all bullshit and I am now replying to that.

People,
If you're going to say something, say it with meaning.
Feel your words.
Don't make your words fit the wants of everyone else.
Give everyone else that song to sing when in need.
Let them have it! Tell them, "If you can't handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen!"
PLEASE, I beg of you, stop buying into the fame and go where the respect lies.
Loyalty is found there!
People can sense the sincerity of one's work by how he or she delivers.
Gimmicks. Images. Acts only last for a minute whereas, truth stands forever.
One cannot be a pimp forever. He or she has to find love one day...
One cannot be a balla forever. There are bills to pay, people to feed, responsibilities; money does run out.
Move on people, move forward.

This goes out to my peers, my friends, my loved ones.
FIND YOURSELF!
Haven't you learned that we, as an audience, are never happy?
I truly and honestly believe that the flyest appeal comes from within.
If you're going to say something, say it with meaning.
What difference will it make to the self conscious girl, how many hoes you slept with in a week?
What difference will it make to the teenage father, working four hour shifts at Pik and Save to support his little family, if you can buy four lambo's and a iced out chain?
Find your voice young people! Not his voice or her voice but, yours; and after you do that, let us hear it too!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Passionate Music Consumer,

In my opinion its bigger then the music...
its bigger then the imaginary weapons that carry influential bullets...
its bigger then the misguided young men that are so eager to pull it...
its bigger then the content of the young women who have no choice but to settle for it...
Disorganized priorities result in commercialized similarities...

lol ok datz jus a quick 4bars...but i totally agree and it come down to the individual bc for the most part now mainstream music is money driven without the substance...catchy hook, make a hit get paid. and for some reason now its more like deez ppl feel its kooh to be a fooh smh WRONG lol.

-sua

Evelyn Moli said...

Damn Sua, that was DOPE! But, this music industry, today, is most definitely WHACK! I was directing this piece more to writers period but, soon found myself talking to the young musicians today. This piece is a "to be continued" one, lol. Thanks so much for the support! REALLY appreciate it! Love you!